Fuel poverty and rising energy bills make energy efficiency a pressing issue for housing tenants and their landlords. How to approach this issue across a large housing stock in the context of stretched resources and limited government funding is a challenge throughout the sector.
The Zero Carbon team specialise in energy efficiency, communal heating and renewable technologies in existing homes and buildings. We have developed pioneering support services to overcome this funding gap, supporting over 70 clients to date to map, plan, procure and deliver energy saving investments of over £100m. Our clients include some of the biggest and smallest social landlords, universities and local authorities in the UK.
Our approach combines smart data analytics and benchmarking with deep understanding of technical solutions and planned maintenance programmes. By combining these skills we help organisations to integrate energy efficiency within business as usual to achieve highest impact at the least cost.
Planning stock wide energy improvements to meet 2030 targets
• 48 clients in 3 years
• Address fuel poverty - 10% of social housing tenants are fuel poor
• Plan for the government’s 2030 EPC C target for fuel poor homes
• Tackle E, F and G rated properties
Build the business case for energy efficiency investments
• Deep and robust business intelligence to inform investment for highest operational returns
• We analysed data from 27,000 homes managed by Orbit Housing and identified £4m of operational savings over 20 years
• We support clients to claim FITs, RHI and ECO funding
Efficient communal and district heating systems
• We offer free communal heating system benchmarking across large property portfolios - we commonly find some sites using 10 times more energy than others
• Clients of all sizes trust us to identify and help improve inefficient boilers
• Up to 50% efficiency improvements are possible even in new build
• We’re supporting landlords to prepare for heat metering and billing regulations
• From solar PV to ground source heat pumps our specialists can build options appraisals, feasibility studies and business investment plans
• 15 organisations supported on renewable energy investments
• Develop effective procurement processes and documents to achieve best value
• We manage the OJEU compliant RE:NEW framework on behalf of the Mayor of London – cost effective with 9 pre-qualified suppliers of energy related housing maintenance
Risk analysis – avoidance of costly mistakes
• Poor quality energy efficiency projects can mean mouldy homes, dissatisfied tenants and additional costs, with impacts on health, educational attainment and economic opportunity
• We provide expert risk assessment to ensure high quality design and specification.
• The UK's energy landscape is going through a quiet revolution the homes of the future will be better insulated with smart battery systems, EV charging points, solar panels and electric heat pumps
• We’re helping landlords to prepare and lead the way
Capita Real Estate and Infrastructure work with public and private sector organisations to design, build and optimise their real estate and infrastructure assets. From thought to finish, we apply our combined expertise to achieve more from the entire built environment.
We build competitive advantage through intelligently applied real estate and infrastructure solutions and enhance our clients’ standing in a forever-changing world.